Who Are We?
Wright Construction has been operating in Saskatchewan since 1905 with projects ranging from British Columbia to Ontario. We represent the longest operating construction company in the Province of Saskatchewan and in the City of Saskatoon.
For over 100 years, Wright Construction has helped build this province. Along the way we have produced many landmarks across Western Canada, including the original buildings of the University of Saskatchewan, Hotel Saskatchewan in Regina, the Bessborough Hotel in Saskatoon, Merlis Belsher Place, the Grande Prairie Aquatic Center, Humboldt’s District Health Center and much more!
Wright Construction performs General Contracting, Design Build, Public-Private-Partnerships (P3s) and Construction Management services. We excel in a variety of commercial, institutional, mixed use and industrial environments. Each year we complete hundreds of thousands of square feet of retail space for various developers and retail chains. Wright Construction is a strong competitor in the institutional sector providing services to school and health boards across Saskatchewan and Alberta. Meanwhile, we are a Butler Buildings dealer and have erected approximately 6.5 million square feet of pre-engineered building space. We have been awarded Butler “Builder of the Year” and “Top Volume Builder” in Canada many times over the last 10 years.
What Do We Value?
We remain true to the same principles on which our company was founded:
- We put people first – We have a genuine and authentic commitment to people. At Wright Construction, family is more than a name.
- We do the right thing. Period.
- Relationships form our foundation – For over 100 years, we have had an uncompromising commitment to our teammates, partners, and our family. We take great pride in the relationships that we have built in our community.
- Our promise is our most vital product – We believe a handshake means something. We act with honesty, transparency, fairness, and accountability.
- Every challenge is an opportunity for success – We seek solutions and collaborate to overcome obstacles
Our mission: Building people and communities together since 1905.
Our vision: To be the preferred builder, employer, and trusted partner in our communities.
What Are We Looking For?
We are currently seeking a permanent full-time Pursuit and Design Manager to join our team located in our Saskatoon office.
This role is responsible for pursuits, management of Wright’s scopes, schedule, and budget of multiple ongoing projects of varying complexity. The focus is on building successful teams for proposal development and delivery, planning for execution and bridging the communications between customer and project execution to create an environment for successful project delivery.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
1. Manage all phases of feasibility and design of potential projects within Canada.
2. Overseeing the proposal development process and coordinating the design consultants, engineering consultants, and estimating staff.
3. Has a thorough understanding of the competitors in the market; developing and implementing effective strategies in winning project pursuits.
4. Participate in the estimating/budgeting process for competitive proposals while considering project-specific challenges and risks.
5. Maintain a level of ownership of each project to ensure the day to day operations of the project are transitioned effectively to Project Managers from Pre-Construction.
6. Identify new market trends including architectural design, geographic, economic, etc.
7. Provide leadership and business judgment on all financial and profitability aspects of new projects. Establish profit margins with the Chief Estimator and Partners at the beginning of the project and mentor the team (Project Managers) on how to increase profit levels.
8. Facilitate field site visits to conduct due diligence related to constructability, design, utility servicing, and cost. Provide site reports and preliminary sketches as needed.
9. Review site related project documents to assess construction viability.
10. Lead the development and production of qualifications, request for proposals, and presentation efforts
11. Demonstrate interest and understanding of Company priorities with a reasonable level of business judgment.
12. Maintain relationships with contracting agencies and executive management to anticipate project needs with sufficient lead-time to avoid delay of production.
13. Work closely with business development to pursue potential client/project opportunities.
14. Pursue, build, and maintain strong relationships in the industry to enable effective communication/ties to the local market.
15. All other duties as assigned
To be successful in this role, you possess:
1. Bachelor’s Degree an asset, preferably in a relevant field such as Construction Management, Engineering, or Architecture.
2. Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in a Project, Pursuit, or Design Manager capacity.
3. Experience working on large multi-million dollar projects. Preference given to those exceeding 100 million dollars.
4. Knowledge of construction procedures, trade practices, building codes, project scheduling, project cost control, and safety procedures. Experienced in estimating, defining scopes of work and pricing labor and material during the negotiation / bid process.
5. Thorough understanding of construction administration processes, including contracts, budgets, construction documents, change orders, schedules, RFIs, submittals, and material procurement.
6. Proficient in utilizing technology to assist in database management, proposal creation, and other business development processes.
7. Ability to develop project estimates, budgets and manage resources.
8. Ability to understand client requirements and to produce highly professional proposals and presentations.
9. Entrepreneurial spirit with a positive attitude. Ability to drive goals and results while maintaining quality and attention to critical details.
10. Experience in strategic planning and execution. Knowledge of contracting, negotiating, and change management.
11. Ability to travel, across Canada, as necessary.
12. Skilled in reading, understanding and redlining design drawings with an understanding of cost implications of construction design options and the ability to make cost-efficiency recommendations.
13. Aptitude in communicating and building relationships with property owners, local jurisdictions, utility companies and other stakeholders throughout the project cycle.
14. Ability to identify the critical path tasks in a project timeline and accelerate project completion.
1. Must be able to work well within a team setting and contribute to team success
2. Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate complex activities, prioritize conflicting demands, and manage workflow to ensure quality and meet deadlines.
3. Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to effectively plan and prioritize.
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills, with proven negotiation skills.
5. Demonstrated strong ethics in interpersonal relations and work as an effective, collaborative team member to produce high-quality results.
6. Ability to work autonomously, in a fast-paced environment.
What We Have to Offer You?
- Be part of a leading construction company while investing in your career
- Competitive compensation package
- Industry leading employer paid pension program
- Pension matching program
- Company paid benefit program
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Commitment to learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Professional and career development opportunities
Are you a good match, and wish to join our team? Apply Today!
If you are interested in this opportunity and in joining our team, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Wright Construction however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.