SUMMARY OF POSITION
- The Carpenter is responsible for constructing and maintaining institutional, commercial, and industrial buildings for which Wright Construction Western Inc. is responsible.
- Knowledge of institutional, commercial, and industrial construction, practices, procedures, tools and equipment, materials, specifications, quality control, cost control, and safety are required.
- The Carpenter must be proficient at the following tasks: framing, hanging doors, drilling and setting door hardware, setting windows, laying out stairs, reading blueprints, erecting structural walls, roofing, utilizing appropriate math skills, and must possess mathematical and analytical skills necessary to do material estimates.
- This position reports to the Site Superintendent
- This position works in conditions where weather becomes a factor (either warm or cold) and must dress appropriately and safely.
- Occupational Skills: Operate and maintain carpentry tools and equipment, prepare estimates for work orders and request material required to complete the job; understand and comply with all policies and procedures and safety protocols.
- Planning and Layout: Site layout, floor and wall layout, formwork, and anchor bolt layout.
- Concrete: Prepare framing, Mix and Pour, Create forms, and Stairs.
- Framing: Doors, windows, parapet
- Exterior Finish: Siding, Roofing, Set Windows, Masonry and Plaster work.
- Interior Finish: Drywall, Flooring, Hang Doors, install door hardware, install millwork, specialty items (ie: tack boards, lockers, bathroom partitions, acoustical panels, etc).
- Renovations: Perform as required.
- Assist with the delivery of other related municipal services.
- Supervise apprentices and other staff as directed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned, including minor duties of other trades or labourers where certification is not required, and the work does not exceed own limitations.
- Set up and maintain safety items on site such as handrails, floor coverings, temp enclosures, control zones, and tie off points.
- Promote safe work and a safety culture on site.
- QA/QC: Maintain quality control in work completed by yourself and your team. Work with Supervisor to monitor overall quality of work on site.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Customer Focus – is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers;
- Timely decision making – Makes decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; able to make a quick decision
- Directing others – is good at establishing clear directions; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; is a clear communicator
- Ethics and Values – Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good times and bad; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he preaches
- Functional/technical skills – Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment
- Planning – accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; breaks down work into the process steps
- Problem solving – uses logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
- Time Management – uses time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates efforts on the more important priorities; can attend to a broader range of activities.
- High school Diploma preferred
- Proof of enrollment in Apprenticeship
- Experience in commercial, industrial, and/or institutional construction is an asset
- Valid driver’s license and/or reliable transportation preferred
- Willingness to travel is an asset but not required.
- Prior equipment experience is considered an asset.
- Ability to read blueprints and specifications for building
- Ability to work with little supervision and as part of a team
- Knowledge of all phases of building construction
- Knowledge of safe operation of basic hand and power tools
- Knowledge of building materials
- General computer, writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
- The following skills are required: Time management; Safety conscious; Creative thinking; Problem solving; Dependability and accountability; Decision making; Planning and organizing; Mathematical reasoning; Coaching and mentoring; Effective communication.