SUMMARY OF POSITION
- This role provides supervision of day to day duties, offers coaching/mentorship, provides leadership in aspects of the defined core responsibilities.
- This position will be required to travel
- Work safely
- Project Planning/Manpower Management
- Achieve corporate profitability
- Encourage positive teamwork and collaboration to ensure project objectives are met
- Realize client satisfaction
- Sustain subcontractor satisfaction
- Produce employee satisfaction
- Lead by example in establishing safety as the primary value on the work site. This includes maintaining a clean site.
- Manage all aspects of the Wright Construction safety program with the support of the Assistant Superintendent, Site Coordinator and Safety Officer.
- Establish daily hazard analysis prior to work commencement and ensure that Assistant Supervisor and Foreman promote safe work procedures.
- Monitor site activities to ensure that safe work practices are being followed.
- Promote harmony among the work force and take disciplinary action as required. Provide regular feedback to Human Resources regarding employee performance.
- Ensure weekly tool box meetings are taking place and collect documentation from subcontractors.
- Review and resolve safety issues daily; represent the Company at the site when dealing with safety authorities.
- Coordinate sequence of construction activities with subcontractors
- Understand the project documents and how it dictates actions, priority of work on site and flow of information between all parties.
- Understand and communicate to necessary parties how both approved/unapproved changes effect on site work flow, etc. Recognize potential cost increases or schedule delays and/ or gains as they relate to changes.
- Prepare, in conjunction with the Project Manager, an overall work plan and schedule.
- Evaluate the timing and extent of resources necessary to execute the schedule.
- Evaluate various forms of building systems and finalize with the Project Manager.
- Do cost/benefit analysis on various construction methods to ensure the most cost-effective solutions are implemented.
- Prepare manpower plans on a weekly basis to determine crew sizes.
- Review site manpower and progress of own forces and subcontractors daily to compare with planned and implement changes as required.
- Review/prepare timecards for self-performed work.
- Solicit pricing for materials and equipment and issue Purchase Orders (PO) in consultation with Project Manager.
- Meet with subcontractors in advance of work commencement to review safety, contract documents, materials, work procedures, quality control, schedule and work area readiness.
- Ensure that all field crews are working with the most current information.
- Review and understand project documents in detail to permit the identification of conflicts and missing information in sufficient time to avoid disruption to the project. Initiate Requests for Information (RFI) where necessary.
- Complete all necessary project paperwork daily ie. Daily work reports
- Attend all jobsite meetings with subcontractors and follow‐up on action items as requested.
- Assist the Project Manager in reviewing items related to cost, schedule, quality and contractual issues involving subcontractors.
- Understand LEED requirements and how it relates to construction tasks.
- Understand Testing required and QA/QC program and how it relates to construction tasks.
- Review and assist in monitoring QA/QC and arrange for the necessary field support in order to construct the project to a level of quality consistent with Company objectives.
- Monitor quality of workmanship daily and take immediate corrective action when non-compliant work is observed.
- Conduct daily Foreman meetings.
- Coordinate and Chair weekly subtrade meetings which include the project management staff as well as their foreman.
- Create/Update and distribute 3 week look ahead schedules weekly.
- Implement Joint Health and Safety Committee and attend monthly meetings.
Initiates, coordinates, directs and evaluates plans, schedules and site personnel to ensure attainment of established project objectives.
Receives direct supervision and assistance from the Director(s) of Construction and Construction Manager with regards to Company policies and general project objectives. Is provided wide latitude for the exercise of independent judgement in establishing site procedures and plans and execution strategies to ensure attainment of those objectives.
- Customer Focus – is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
- Timely decision making – Makes decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; able to make a quick decision
- Directing others – is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator
- Ethics and Values – Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good times and bad; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he preaches
- Functional/technical skills – Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment
- Planning – accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results
- Problem solving – uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
- Drive for Results – can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results
- Building Effective Teams – Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and team spirit in his team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team
- Time Management – uses time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.
- High school graduation or equivalent
- 7-9 years of work experience in commercial, industrial and/or institutional construction and remodeling
- At least two (2) years of supervisory experience in the construction trade
- Journeyperson certificate an asset
- Knowledge of all phases of building construction
- Knowledge of electrical, mechanical, and structural systems
- Knowledge of building materials, tools and machines
- Knowledge of building material costs and wages
- Knowledge of safety legislation
- Ability to read blueprints and specifications for building
- General computer, writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to travel is an asset but not required.